Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2019 20:25:31 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun@FreeBSD.org>, Tycho Nightingale <tychon@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dmar, dma_pool, etc

On 2019-04-29 18:56, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> On 4/29/19 3:41 PM, Tycho Nightingale wrote:
>> For the GPU it=E2=80=99s important to note that enabling the IOMMU did=
n=E2=80=99t work before, was not a goal of this error, and would be expec=
ted to not work right now.  However, it=E2=80=99s possible this change re=
vealed some cases where some DMAR functionality was enabled in the BIOS a=
nd since the support is incomplete breakage is happening.  Or something e=
lse that I am overlooking right now.
>=20
> Especially i915's GEM (i915_gem.c) have a lot of FreeBSD specific
> patches related to memory. Any FreeBSD code in drm drivers is within
> #ifndef __linux__=C2=A0 tags so it's easy locate our patches.
>=20
> It could also be some inconsistency between linuxkpi in base and
> linuxkpi gplv2 in ports.
>=20
> I don't think disabling options in BIOS in the correct solution. This
> would also disable functionality for virtual machines.

Agreed.  This has to work with virtualization options enabled in BIOS.=20
We can't expect people to fiddle with BIOS settings just to get FreeBSD=20
graphics to work, especially not virtualization, which is a very common=20
use case as well.
Regards
--=20
Niclas Zeising