Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:30:50 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat new to java questions

> I get the feeling that the Java Emperor has no clothes.

Heh heh.

> The amount of code you need to write to do almost anything
> in terms of a GUI implementation in Java seems to be
> much larger and harder to write and understand than in
> TK/TCL.  This example of a MessageBox seems quite intimidating!

Possibly.  I like Tcl/Tk, but it's hard to write clean code in it.
Particularly troublesome are dialog boxes where the state of many
widgets depend on each other.  Making the connections between them is
hard to codify and document in code, and nearly always relies on global
variables and unusual quoting.

Whereas with Java, encapsulating the behavior of customized widgets
within classes with well-defined callback interfaces are just a features
of the language.

> Furthermore, the performance seems much worse, seen from
> my perspective of FreeBSD, Java 1.1 and Swing compared with
> TK/TCL 8.0.

No argument there.  Tcl/Tk wins easily.

> And inter-platform compatibility, at least between Unix and
> Windows, seems about equivalent.

Yep.

> What am I missing? (No, its not a troll.  I am genuinely puzzled.)

Object orientation.  Java is a *good* object-oriented language, unlike
C++.  Plus, it's a lot easier to write large programs in it than in
Tcl/Tk.

--Sean