Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 02:04:04 -0700
From:      "Tom Chappell" <tomchapp@intelenet.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sun & FreeBSD?

> Tom Chappell wrote:
> > Not that I'm complaining or anything, but why don't you hold
> off worrying
> > about those other technologies until you've got your current Java port
> > solid?  It seems kind of half-baked at the moment (in the sense of 'well
> > begun').
>
> John Birrell [mailto:jb@cimlogic.com.au] replied:
> Err, I'll bite. What is "half-baked" about it?
>
> There must be something I'm missing. I'm surpised that you'd think that.

First off, let me say that I haven't done a lick of work on this project
myself. As Amancio Hasty said, you folks are free to work on what you like,
just as I am free to fix the problems I'm complaining about, if I'm so
inclined.

But as to the question of why I characterized it as only well-begun, as
opposed to being completed and ready for additional enhancements, I must say
that I am astonished at your surprise. I say that because I've had trouble
running most of the larger Java applications that I've tried to run on the
current build.  Are you saying that you haven't had the same experience?  I
had assumed that it was universal.  To be clear, what I'm saying is that
most of the larger Java programs that I try to run with the current build
mostly work, but exhibit bugs not seen on other Java platforms.

Here are some notable items from the http://www.FreeBSD.org/java page
itself:

"This is a pre-release version..."

"jdk1.1.5.V98-2-25.tar.gz appears to have some difficult-to-track-down
socket bugs."

"There are a few known bugs which occur when tested against the supplied
demos. They do not bomb out, but display error messages. The most common
occurs when you start appletviewer:
    java in free(): warning: chunk is already free.
*or*
    java in free(): warning: chunk is already free."

"There is also a 'signal abort' error that occurs at random times."

Again, you folks have done a great job taking it this far, but as a FreeBSD
user, I just wish that the port was a little closer to production quality
(of the same quality as FreeBSD itself, say).

Do what you want, I was just trying to let you know that I'd love to use it
if it was ready to use.
-TC