Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 23:59:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@Mlink.NET>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-PORTS <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: WmInet and asmon

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Chris Piazza wrote:

[...]

: Don't expect programs that were made for Linux to work.  Asmon most definitely
: doesn't work (just tried it) and I, for one, don't feel like spending the
: time to make it work :-).  Welcome to if you'd like.

If we want FreeBSD to become as popular with the home user as Linux
currently is, we NEED to be able to do everything it can and more, there
should be no exceptions, our Linux binary emulation is terrific, that's
a great start, but we MUST start porting everything and anything we can
to FreeBSD if we want to make ourselves a more flexible OS. I only wish
I had the programming knowledge to do it. I can program, a little bit, not
enough to know the major differences to port between operating systems,
except in small cases like include files and ifdefs.

: With regards to wminet it seems to use some "features" of Linux's struct utmp
: that don't exist in ours.  See above, good luck!

Refere to above.

: >
: > cc -o asmon  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lXext -lX11
: > /usr/lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
: > /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x69): undefined reference to `main'
: > *** Error code 1
:
: Use gmake.  The Makefile has this:
:
:         cc -o asmon $^ $(LIBDIR) $(LIBS)

Yup, that was my stupidity at this hour.. It compiles fine with gmake,
but it cores on a floating point exception.

: ---
: Chris Piazza    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
:            cpiazza@home.net
: finger norn@norn.ca.eu.org for PGP key
:
:
: with "unsubscribe freebsd-ports" in the body of the message

--
DISCLAIMER: Anyone sending me unsolicited commercial electronic mail
will be charged a $100 fee for time spent reading it. Do NOT send this

US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater,
for each violation.