Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:42:18 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Console and X configuration for laptop display

I installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a Dell Inspiron 8100.  During bootup and
later, at the command line, the usable screen is much smaller than the
available display size -- 2 to 3 inch margins on all sides.  Does anyone
know how I can fix this?

In X, a resolution of 1400x1050 fills the display; but everything,
including text in documents, looks really tiny.  1024x768 is my favorite
setting for my desktop monitor; but is rejected by X as being too small
on the laptop display.  Is there a way to make things look bigger while
in 1400x1050?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould