Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:13:05 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bad e-mail addiess

--tjOMJDssiV0CZSJH

On 11/27/01 11:07 PM, Anthony Atkielski sat at the `puter and typed:
> I have a simpler solution:  I've just set up my e-mail client to route all
> messages above 15 KB in size to a special folder, where I can examine them
> later.  The very vast majority of legitimate e-mails are small and contai=
n only
> text, and easily escape this filter, whereas e-mails with dangerous attac=
hments
> are trapped by it.  Periodically I look at the folder, and if I see a mes=
sage
> that looks suspicious, I examine the raw message content before opening i=
t, to
> see what it contains (on Outlook Express, you can right-click, then Prope=
rties,
> then Details, then Message source to see the actual content of the message
> without officially opening it--this does not execute anything the message=
 might
> contain).
>=20
> There's no point in filtering specific senders because very often they ar=
e not
> aware that they have a virus sending e-mails on their behalf, and in any =
case,
> it often sends a virus to a given recipient just once.

Or better yet,  use procmail. I posted an effective  recipe in another
thread on this list just today.  The recipe was posted by someone else
on the procmail  list earlier today. I haven't seen  a single infected
message  and  haven't  had  a  single valid  message  tossed  since  I
installed it.

--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute -- and it's longer than any
hour.  That's relativity.
    -- Albert Einstein

--tjOMJDssiV0CZSJH

--tjOMJDssiV0CZSJH--