Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:40:28 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Athalon slot vs. socket and other issues

Faced with replacing my PPro-166/512k due to lightning strike running
in the ethernet NIC. The right choice seems to be the AMD Athalon
family. But am faced with the choice between slot and socket
configurations. Seems like a slot could be cooled on both sides while
a socket could not. A slot could contain its own voltage regulator,
which might be hard on a chip. The slot MB's appear to be a tad
cheaper. But for some reason ('cause he has one in stock?) the local
shop is recommending socket and has no other justification.

Any performance differences between slot and socket? Any differences
in future support and upgrade options? Seen hints at AMD of larger
caches on new slotted CPU's but haven't found that detail yet.

While we are at it, he wants to put registered PC133 ECC memory into
an Asus A7V MB. Says the MB will use either registered or
non-registered memory, "but registered is what we use in serious
server-class machines such as yours." Seems that registering can only
add propagation delays. But could improve reliability.
Recommendations? Should I stretch for VCM or stay with the comfortable
easy known PC133?

Have always been pleased with Asus MB's in the past. Is Asus still as
good as they have been? The A7V is more expensive than the K7V and
appears to use a different VIA chip (KT133 vs KX133). Interesting as
AMD's web site doesn't appear to list any Asus MB's other than the A7V
as "recommended."
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net