Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:57:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linux emulation seg fault

I'm having trouble with the linux emulation in 3.2-release.
I've tried various things, but all I get is segmentation fault.

My machine dual boots between freebsd and linux.  Freebsd is a fresh
install of 3.2-release from CD's.  Linux is Red Hat 6.0.

I installed the linux_lib-2.6.1 port and turned on linux_enable="YES".
And indeed there's a tree below /usr/compat/linux, and kldstat reports
the linux module is installed.  As I understand it, linux emulation
doesn't require anything special in the kernel, right?

In linux, I compile the "Hello, world" program.  gcc -v reports:

   gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

I reboot freebsd, copy the file, brand it, and I get:

   % file a.out
   a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (Linux),
          dynamically linked, not stripped
   % ./a.out
   Segmentation fault (core dumped)
   % gdb a.out a.out.core
   GNU gdb 4.18
   This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
   Core was generated by `a.out'.
   /lib/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
   #0  0x0 in ?? ()
   (gdb) bt
   #0  0x0 in ?? ()
   #1  0x80483bb in frame_dummy ()
   #2  0x80482bd in _init ()
   #3  0x2806c271 in ?? ()
   (gdb)

I tried adding "options COMPAT_LINUX" to the kernel, but it had no
affect, still seg faults.

I tried compiling a linux static "Hello, world", and it works.  So, I
guess that points to a shared lib problem.

I searched the mailling list archives and found a few other reports of
the same seg fault problem, mostly with freebsd 2.2.7 and Red Hat 5.0.
But oddly, I couldn't find a solution.  The followups were either
"Works fine for me", or had suggestions that I've already tried.

So, what am I missing?

--Mark Krentel