Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:34:27 +0300
From:      Vlad Tudorache <vladtudorache@home.ro>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ATA Slave Devices

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Jim Chapman <jim.chapman@sympatico.ca> writes:
>

>>I have 2 devices that will not work as slaves. They are a CD-RW drive
>>and an IDE tape drive. They both work fine as masters. They give a
>>message
>>
>>ATA identify retries exceeded
>>
>>during the boot.
>>
>>I have tried different combinations of masters and slaves and
>>different cables. The bios recognizes them as slaves.
>>
>>Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>>

>If you set something up as a slave, make sure that there is a master
>on that bus.

This happened to me, too. Even if you setup a master device on the same
cable with the "pseudotroubled" one it won't work. I don't know why, but
on my kernel from which I removed all SCSI support it then worked. For
you, with a CDRW... if you remove SCSI support  (including ATAPICAM) the
cdrdao will not work any more...
It seems a FreeBSD's problem with using removable ATAPI devices. The
floppy controller behaves strangely with ACPI activated, for example...
This is a minus for the FreeBSD, a very stable and secure system...