Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:02:00 +0200
From:      Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>
To:        Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm out of here...

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

Am 2003.08.12 10:58 schrieb(en) Franz Klammer:
> Am Di, 2003-08-12 um 00.20 schrieb Jeremy Messenger:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:42:42 +0200, Martin Klaffenboeck
> > <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > (Please cc me, I'm not on the list anymore.)
> > >
> > > I was maintaining about 9 ports in the FreeBSD ports collection,
> and I
> > > was starting the gports project (http://gports.sourceforge.net).
> > >
> > > But now I have changed back to linux after using FreeBSD on my
> desktop
> > > for about two years.  It was a great time here, the hardest thing
> to quit
> > > with FreeBSD is not the OS itselfe, the hard thing is to say good
> by to
> > > all my friends in the mailling lists and chatrooms, which are
> using
> > > FreeBSD.  The community is quite good, and I don't know how long
> it will
> > > take to get new friends in the linux community.  I hope there will
> come
> > > some nice guys like you.  (Esspecially Joe and Franz, but the
> others
> > > too.)
> >
> > May I ask you what it makes you switch over to Linux? I am just
> curious..
> > :-)
> >
>=20
> Bye Martin! Thanks for the nice words. :-)
> But i'm also interested why you are doing a so extreme
> switch-over to Linux only.

Yes, I think there is no real rational reason, and I cannot say, I have=20
made this decision because of advantages or disadvantages from the one=20
or other OS.

The main thing could be, that I also want to play on my computer some=20
computer games.  I couln't get the nvidia-driver working on FreeBSD,=20
without any crashes.  There are more games available on linux I found=20
out, and porting new games to FreeBSD was a thing I found really hard,=20
because this sources are often not very portable.  Now I don't have to=20
port things.

On FreeBSD I couln't get rid of the linux emulation, (because only the=20
linuxflashplayer for galeon worked, and it needed a wrapper there). You=20
may say:  Who cares about that! But it's just that I don't liked it.

Then I started to test gentoo linux, a few weeks ago.  The first thing=20
I saw was:  The computer starts faster.  My computer is a workstation,=20
so this is good.  And the computer runs faster.  Ok, this is wrong. =20
But the user can have the feeling that the computer runs faster=20
(especial while using the gnome frontend, I didn't test kde so far),=20
and people told me, this is because the linux scheduler is cheating. =20
It runs the current visible things first, so it looks like it is=20
faster, but it isn't really.

What I miss is, that gentoo doesn't support the gnome 2.3 deveoper=20
branch (see the marcuscom portstree), so I'm working in 2.2 here.  But=20
I found out, that this is not really a big problem for me right now.

I could talk on and on, why I decided for gentoo, but I think most of=20
this things weren't in my mind when I was switching.  What I think=20
about my self I could explain in german with the word 'Tapetenwechsel'.=20
(For people who don't speak german, my dictionary translates this as=20
'change of scene').

What do you think, when you hear my telling you this?

> Anyway ... good luck with you new OS-way of living ;-)

Thanks,  I'm not as good as I was in using FreeBSD, but it makes fun to=20
practise and learn.

Martin

> Franz.
>=20
> > Cheers,
> > Mezz
> >
> > > Good bye people.
> > >
> > > I'll miss you somehow.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Martin
> > >
> > > PS.  Please take over the maintainership of my ports, some will go
> > > gnome@, some to ports@.  Martin Grimme told me, that it would be
> nice if
> > > someone could take over the gdeskcal port for FreeBSD.  Write him
> an
> > > email (mailto:martin@pycage.de) to put you into his announcement
> list.
> --