Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 05:13:50 -0400
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic with VirtualBox on -CURRENT

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Lucius Windschuh wrote:
>> 2009/6/17 Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
>>> Unfortunately, I do not see an option in this computers' BIOS to
>>> enable virtualization.  I'm actually trying on a machine at work
>>> now, rather than the one I tried at home yesterday, but the results
>>> are the same.  This computer actually has as an Intel Core 2 Quad
>>> CPU (unlike yesterdays dualcore Xeon).  Is there someway to check if
>>> the processors on these machines support the virtualization extensions?
>>>
>>> I also am not able to disable the AMD-V option in VirtualBox.  The
>>> check box is selected but greyed out.
>>
>> "Me too". Same panic on an Atom board (i386 mode). Same greyed out
>> checkboxes.
>> Are you also using i386?
>
> Most Atom CPUs don't support hardware virtualization extensions. AFAIK
> only the "desktop" variants support it.

On my machine, it's greyed out as well, which suggests my CPU doesn't
support the extensions.  So why would the check box be checked?

Are the extensions necessary to use VirtualBox on FreeBSD at the moment?

Is there anything else I can test or any more information I can give to
figure out why my kernel is panicking with VirtualBox?

Adam