Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:43:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Coile <scoile@nandomedia.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to tailor installation set?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Bill Moran wrote:
[...]
> Depends on the component and how the previous admin handled things.  Most
> FreeBSD users use the ports/package system to add/remove programs.  The
> docs are very good:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
>
> However, some parts of FreeBSD are part of "distribution sets" (such as
> man pages, source and ports tree)  I don't know of any automated way to
> remove these from the system.

I guess that's my point.  FreeBSD is pretty big, even without the ports.
My administration philosophy is "minimal function set": only install what
will be used.  I'd like a clean way to remove a component--for instance
development tools, or X, or printing support--from the system without
breaking any dependencies.

--
Steve Coile
Systems Administrator