Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:08:39 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Horror story

Hello, Dan.

I have since (before receiving your message) divided the disk into two
parts: a 2 Gig primary DOS partition, and the rest for FreeBSD. This is my
second hard drive, so the DOS partition is Windows drive D.

My first drive is 1 Gig, of which 81 Meg was used by FreeBSD 2.2.8 before.

Last night I tried to install FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE via ftp. It did install
overnight. I sliced the 81 Meg on the first drive: 20 Meg for swap, the
rest I used for /usr/whizkid/sources (wanted to use it, but for nothing
important, it is a slow drive). I used the big partition on the new drive
(the second drive) for FreeBSD, mounted as / for everything else. I had the
FreeBSD boot MBR put on the first drive, and just a non-boot MBR on the
second.

When I tried to boot this morning, I got F1 DOS, F2 FreeBSD, F5 Disk 1
(whatever that F5 means). I chose F2 and got a message about an empty
slice. I pressed enter and just kept getting the "boot:" prompt. I tried to
type things like "1:wd(1,a)", "wd1s2a", but just kept getting messages that
it does not exist.

I do not want to reinstall Windows from scratch: I would lose years of
data, and I have no problems with my existing Windows installation (besides
the usual problem of it being Windows, of course :->).

BTW, I used the FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE install boot disk, and simply changed
"3.0-RELEASE" to "3.1-RELEASE" in the options menu. I did that because when
I tried installing using the two 3.1 boot disks as mentioned on
FreeBSD.org, it just froze when stating it was creating rwd1s2a.

This is very frustrating: Not only did I lose my original FreeBSD 2.2.8
installation I had on my first drive for months, I seem to have lost the
ability to run FreeBSD at all! And the only reason I got the second hard
drive was to give FreeBSD as much space as I could, so I could start using
it as my primary OS, while keep Windows 95 as a "legacy" OS.

BTW, I put full 2 Gig on the Windows partition because I mean to get a
recordable CD drive down the road, and I want to have enough space for a CD
image that can be read/written to by both Windows and FreeBSD.

Adam

P.S. You mentioned creating a partition "manually." I am not sure how to do
that.

At 19:47 12-03-1999 -0800, Dan Busarow wrote:
>I suggest that you start from scratch.
>
>fdisk the drive.  Make the first partition 900 meg for dos C:, second
>partition 100 meg for FreeBSD /, and the third partition as large as
>your BIOS will create for dos D:, the remaining space will be for FreeBSD.
>If the third partition eats up too much space with the large as possible
>option (didn't leave enough for FBSD) create it manually at some
>appropriate size.
>
>Install windows but no extra programs.
>Install FreeBSD
>Choose the second partition and put / on it
>Choose the fourth partition and put /usr and /var on it.
>
>When you go back to windows get in the habit of installing everything
>on drive D:.  C: will fill up as programs happily ignore you and
>install stuff in c:/windows even though you told them to use D:

---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/