Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 02:54:41 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        matt <matt@AIC-GW.MLINK.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-QUESTIONS <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.2 Question..

matt wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Studded wrote:
>
> : matt wrote:
> : >
> : > Thank you very much, This has solved all my problems.. Oddly I couldn't
> : > find it in the man pages or in DNS & BIND by O'Reily (second editon)
> : > Anyhow, I appreciate the help much. Thanks,
>
> I was mistaken, I do have the third edition, I obviously must have missed
> it, but I don't see it in the setting up zone files section..

	I don't think it's in there, but I don't have my copy at hand. Regardless,
the third edition contains a lot of valuable updates, not the least of
which is the BIND 8 data which is up to date through 8.1.2.

> Reguardless
> of that, I'm sure it's in there and I'm only human, I make mistakes.

	Of course. However system administration is a purely darwinian exercise.
You only get to make so many mistakes before you are selected out of the
gene pool, so it pays to make the fewest possible, and not make pointless
or easily avoidable ones.

> :       There is a third edition of this book out, and you should really get a
> : copy if you're going to do any DNS administration. Also, you should NEVER
> : install a new version of something so mission critical as BIND if you're
> : not going to read the upgrade documentation. This situation is mentioned
> : prominently.
>
> This really could be taken as a flame, I hope it was not intended as such.

	It could also be taken as a stern warning from an experienced system
administrator. It certainly was intended that way, at least.

Doug