Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:54:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <janko@compuserve.com>
To:        MG_Tak <mgtak@beancrock.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS behind a ipfw firewall

On page 543 and 544 of "Building Internet Firewalls" is a table with all
the possibilities of UPD and TCP ports for DNS queries and responses.

It also has the info how to setup an internal and external DNS server. You
do not want everybody to be able to know how your internal LAN is
structured and give them machine names they can try to attack.
A system administrator cannot live without a book like this.

You will also need the DNS bible "DNS and BIND". DNS is tricky to setup
and if done wrongly can cause a lot of unnecessary DNS traffic on the
internet.

Also make sure you run the latest version with patchlevel 5 IIRC. Previous
versions had some serious security problems.