Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:16:53 -0500
From:      "Thomas Laus" <lausts@acm.org>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.4 Alpha doesn't see hard disk on DS10L

> I had no problem installing Linux on a DS10L from local CD-ROM.
> FreeBSD 6.4 boots but doesn't see the hard drive.
> Setup gets to the part about partitioning and says there are no disks.
> Advise?
> (I realize -- development is stopped here.)

Most of the time it is because another operating system, especially VMS, was
used on the hard drive before.  I always do a 'DD if=/dev/zero bs=1M
count=1000' on any hard drive that is new to my Alpha.  Boot your Alpha from
a fixit image and wipe the beginning of the previously used hard drive.

Tom
--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1