Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 07:33:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Igor Mkrtoumian <imkrtoum@aua.am>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel compilation and maillogs

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Igor Mkrtoumian wrote:

> Can anybody tell me please
> 1. how to compile a new kernel in FreeBSD 2.1.0

There's a whole chapter on it in the handbook and in the faq, both of which
are located in your /usr/share/doc directory or at http://www.freebsd.org

> 2. how to decrease the number of maillog. files in /var/log/

I think in FreeBSD 2.1.0 you'll find a log rotation scheme in
/etc/daily* and/or /etc/weekly.  In newer versions, there is a program
called newsyslog (and a config file called /etc/newsyslog.conf) which
controls logfile rotation.

> 3. how to decrease the number of messages. files in /var/log/

Same as above.
--

--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions