Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:41:57 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Cc:        wkb@freebie.demon.nl, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rawhide still broken on 4.3beta

> I think that if it ever gets fixed, there will be a lot of rejoicing &
> it will be hard to miss.  Like there was when the "going nowhere with
> my init" problem was finally fixed.

Erm, just so this rumor doesn't spread too far, as the guy who "fixed"
that problem let me just say right now that it was never fixed, it was
simply papered over. :)

What now happens is that libdisk(3) simply whines rather than failing
where it used to, and the things it failed over were pretty severe
like allocations failing or very unexpected events.  This means that
sysinstall on the alpha will see libdisk return now with data which
isn't strictly guaranteed to be valid in some cases, such as the one
which caused the "going nowhere" problem in the first place.  Whether
this will constitute a real problem or not remains to be seen.  In the
meantime, please keep an eye on your debugging screens (VTY2) and let
me know if anything new and interesting shows up. :)

- Jordan