Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 01:54:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      root@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Better F00F workaround (well, maybe...) (fwd)

From: hasdi@umich.edu (Hasdi Rodzmann Hashim)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Better F00F workaround (well, maybe...)
Date: 18 Nov 1997 05:03:57 GMT

Mark Morgan Lloyd (mark_tbu@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:
: > Consructing a simple system where the handlers for exceptions 0..6
: > (alignment as in the Intel workaround) just do an invlpg
: > [first_idt_page]
: > enabled me to reliably trap any mutation of the f00fc7c8 (There are
: > more than 8 possible mutations BTW since you can add prefixes in
: > addition
: > to the LOCK without changing anything to the matter.)

: Yeees... so what you're saying is make sure /every/ exception handler
: invalidates the page containing the IDT before IRETing? I'd have thought
: that would have worked except in cases where the user can install his own
: x86 exception handlers (rather than Unix-style traps).

You know, IA-32 supports non-cachable page. If this works, it will be
easier to make the IDT entry 0..6 on a non-cachable page. Beats rewriting
the exception handler.

CYA.

Hasdi
(a happy AMD486 user)