Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:14:36 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mikhail Evstiounin <evstiounin@adelphia.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chmod command doesn't work was: chmod: invalid file mode: 04711

It wouldn't surprise me if "test" was being replaced with "[". I would
use a better name than "test", which has a special meaning to the
shell.

Kent

Mikhail Evstiounin wrote:

> Before we proceed there, I'd like to know if your chmod is the real one -
> what I mean if you running executable  from the right place and there is
> no alias in your shell. In some shells you can use "type" command
> type chmod
> which is alias, if my memory servers me right, to where command (or
> whence? - too
> many Unixes).

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html