Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:11:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Ryan Baltz <RCBALTZ@accusort.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound deprecated...

>   I'm new to FreeBsd and tried to install sound support for my SB16
> last night.  I followed the directions in 'The Handbook' and it gave
> me a big 'ole message about the Sound Device being deprecated.  What
> am I doing wrong?  Are there any good texts out there that are a step
> above, "type ls to list files" but not as high as "this is how to
> perform a level 6 diagnostic" ???

What version of FreeBSD are you trying to install? If it is 4.x or
higher... just add the lines

device sbc
device pcm

to your kernel configuration file, then build and install a kernel, and
reboot (this assumes a PnP or PCI card) if it's not a PnP or PCI
card... change the sbc line above to:

device sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 (fill in your
card's irq, and drq's (the second drq is in the flags)

after you reboot with a new kernel, type: dmesg | more
and look for sbc0 and pcm0 lines. If they are there... do this as root:

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV snd0

After that, your sound apps should work.

Ken