Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 08:35:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        wayne@crb-web.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to build kernel after cvsup

Wayne Cuddy wrote:

> Ok I used the supfile from the handbook and decided to pull down the entire
> source tree.(src-all)  When I try to configure the GENERIC kernel 'config
> GENERIC' I get this message
>
> >config: can't open ../conf/devices.i386
>
> Why does this happen and how can a build a new kernel from the cvsupped
> sources?

Did you follow the cvsup with a buildworld and an installworld. You
have to follow Nik's instructions at
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
The worst part is updating /etc. He has a Perl script called dircmp.pl
that helps but you still have to diff each directory.

Once you finish the installworld you can config GENERIC and then do
the make depend and install.

Kent

> Thanks,
> Wayne