Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:55:04 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving user accounts from one system to another

Does anybody know of a quick and (relatively) easy way of moving user
accounts between two machines?

We have two mail servers, one if which hosts mail for the ISP's domain, and
another for several domains belonging to their customers. The machine
hosting for the customers is being taken down because it is old and pretty
much redundant, the other server is much more powerful and will just handle
it better.

I need to move (roughly 200) user accounts from the old server to the other
machine. I can't just copy master.password and the data, the UIDs used on
the old server may conflict and clash with UIDs on the other server.

Does anybody know of a way to do this without creating all the accounts
manually and "cutting-and-pasting" the encrypted passwords between the
machines?

Any sort of automation will help save some time, so all sugestions are
welcome :)

Will
--
Willie Viljoen