Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 06:18:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@AIC-GW.MLINK.NET>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-QUESTIONS <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.2 Question..

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Studded wrote:

: matt wrote:
: >
: > On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Studded wrote:

[...]

: 	I don't think it's in there, but I don't have my copy at hand. Regardless,
: the third edition contains a lot of valuable updates, not the least of
: which is the BIND 8 data which is up to date through 8.1.2.

I'm running 8.2, and have it properlly configured, except I'm still in
"setup phase" on that machine, therefore I haven't fully secured it,
but I intend on doing that today.. anyhow.

: > Reguardless
: > of that, I'm sure it's in there and I'm only human, I make mistakes.
:
: 	Of course. However system administration is a purely darwinian exercise.
: You only get to make so many mistakes before you are selected out of the
: gene pool, so it pays to make the fewest possible, and not make pointless
: or easily avoidable ones.

I didn't see it in the book, (third edition), I hardly consider it a
pointless or easily avoidable mistake, I see it as something that was
poorly documented, it had no negative affects on the DNS server, just
whined in the syslog.

[...]

: 	It could also be taken as a stern warning from an experienced system
: administrator. It certainly was intended that way, at least.

Fair enough.

: Doug

Matt

--