Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:19:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Robert Sexton <robert@tabby.kudra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to best use kld's

Robert Sexton wrote:

> This question refers to 4.0-STABLE
>
> Whats the current thinking on kld's?  It seems that every time I turn
> around, another driver has moved into the kld tree.
>
> I generally hard wire all of my drivers, but I see now that even
> network drivers are moving out into kld-land.   Should I get with the
> times and dynamic load things (it would simplify kernel config across
> machines), or are the old ways better?    If so, do I have to specify
> the klds, or how to I trigger the load?  I see that most of the
> filesystems are now dynamic, which sounds good to me.

Unless it was an accident, my kernel build today (cvsup'ed 1800 GMT)
did a lot of kld-modules on 4.0-Stable. It promptly died with a
compile error.

Kent

> --
> Robert Sexton - robert@kudra.com, Cincinnati OH, USA
> "I was shooting from the hip in a dark room using a gun
>  loaded with blanks." - Jason

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg