Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:46:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rory Savage <rsavage@blastpoint.nando.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting Linux EXT2FS to a FreeBSD Filesystem

Hello,

   My name is Rory Savage, and I have currently switced my workstation
from Linux (Red Hat 7.0) to FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE, and I am having
diffuiculty mounting the my old Linux EXT2FS hard disk to my new FreeBSD
filesystem.
  I used to run Red Hat 7.0 on a hard disk partitioned like this, 1
primary paration (for /) about 1.0GB, and then an extended partition with
3  logical partitions for /usr, /var, and /home.  When I decided to switch
to FreeBSD I added a new hard disk as my primary boot disk, and my my
existing linux (ext2fs) drive my slave.  When BSD boots, it sees the drive
as ad1, and that's okay.  But my problem is when I run fsck on /dev/ad1 or
/dev/wd1 all I see is an entry for Partiotion 1 (EXT2FS), and Partion 2
wich reports as an MSDOS Extneded partion.  I can't seem to mount this or
any of the existing partitions to BSD.
  Do I have to do something else (special) to get this filessytem to
mount to BSD?  For now it appears that I can only mount Linux EXT2FS
primary partiations to BSD.  If anyone knows a way to do this, please let
me know.

Thanks!

-Rory Savage

email: rsavage@nando.net