Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:54:34 -0700
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
Subject:   Re: ghostscript upgrade.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:26:19PM +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:30, Gary D Kline wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:18:48PM -0700, Gary D Kline wrote:
> > > 	Hi Gang,
> > >
> > > 	I just upgraded ghostscript for the first time in at least
> > > 	a few years...  I installed the ghostscript-gnu for my old
> > > 	hp500.
> > >
> > > 	In /usr/local/libxec/hpif, part of my gs line is:
> > >
> > > 	/usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q  -sDEVICE=djet500
>

> > > 	only trying to print Postscript gives me this err:
> > >
> > > 	"Unknown device: dj500"
> > >
> > > 	Can anybody help me get this fixed??
> > >
> > > 	thannks much,
> >
> > 	   NB: I solved my problem by using ghostscript-afpl,
> > 	   but still don't understand why -gnu fails.  Can
> > 	   anyone point me at the proper docs?  tia, --gary
>
> The original error message looks wrong if you specified:
>     -sDEVICE=djet500
> I get your error message only when specifying the device as
>     -sDEVICE=dj500

	Thanks for your reply.  Below, moused and pasted, is from
	my hpif shell script.  (I modified the script slightly on
	19dec01, but did not touch the gs line.  I haven't written
	any drivers for 8, 10 years so this stuff in magic in a box:)

/usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=djet500 -sOutputFile=- -
&& exit 0

	And yes, the `Unknown device' error was from -gnu.

> On the other hand with the gnu-ghostscript installed here
> with a printer device I must specify an output and input or a different error
> is anounced. Output does not default to stdout:
>     -sOutputFile=-  -
> is required for output to stdout from stdin. By adding this to your command
> line it works here with gnu version 6.52_4.
>
> Note that:
>    gs -h
> will list all devices known to your particular installation
> of ghostscript.

	Ah, that switch will help, thanks.  Okay, I see this:

	 deskjet djet500 cdeskjet

	so it looks like the "sDEVICE=djet500" is correct.  --FWIW,
	according to the stdout, I'm using
	/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.00/lib with -afpl, and it looks
	like this port does just about everything except wash the car.
	tiff and jpeg and png...   impressive.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix