Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2018 13:29:43 -0700
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        Stephen Kiernan <hackagadget@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Veriexec

Hi Stephen,

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Stephen Kiernan <hackagadget@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> (Additionally, I don't really like the use of
>> "revert" (as used in the commit message) or "backout" (here) to
>> describe the kernel changes.  The bad code is still present, but
>> disabled by default.)
>
> What would you prefer? It helps to provide an alternative if you wish to
> see someone potentially use it in the future. You simply stated you didn'=
> like the use without providing an alternative.

It's a minor language quibble =E2=80=94 don't worry about it too much.  I
would suggest "disable by default," for example.  "Revert" and
"backout" have a specific meaning that is approximately 'svn merge -c
-NNNNNN'.

> Note that the commit message for r335682 says "Partial revert of
> r335399 and r335400" which is exactly what it is. It wasn't a full revert
> of the commits, it was only partially reverting them.

It removes 7 lines out of 2856 lines added in the two commits.  I
agree that you're technically correct =E2=80=94 it is a partial revert.  Bu=
t I
think it would be more clear and accurate not to describe it as any
kind of revert, given how little (0.25% of lines) was actually
removed.

>> > There's work in progress on fixing the issues with the meta-data store
>> > and its use.
>>
>> Ok.  Can you elaborate on that progress?  Is it happening in public?
>> Is there any kind of (loose) schedule in mind?
>
> My goal was to have something by the beginning of next week, but
> work and life got too busy to be able to make much headway. ...
>
> As for the veriexec changes, I will be posting them as they are available
> to the following branch on GitHub:
> https://github.com/hackagadget/freebsd/tree/hackagadget/veriexec
> (Note this branch is currently out of date.)
>
> So right now my tentative schedule is to have first cut available for
> people to look at around 23 Jul 2018. Also, I want to put up a design
> overview on my website once I get all the maintenance done this
> weekend.

Ok, that's great.  Thanks.

Best,
Conrad