Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:14:28 +0200
From:      Andy Hilker <ah@cryptobank.de>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device carp / freebsd-update

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

Hi Max,

You (Max Laier) wrote:
> On Monday 21 August 2006 15:53, Andy Hilker wrote:
> > we are currently migrating our hosts to 6.1-RELEASE with official
> > binaries (from CD). This is because we want to make use of
> > freebsd-update binary patches.
> >
> > Our problem is that GENERIC kernel does not contain "device carp".
> > Is there any posibility to use carp without "device carp" in GENERIC
> > e.g. with /boot/loader.conf like other pseudo devices?
>=20
> No, there is no such possibility.  The reason for this, is that carp(4)=
=20
> has to register a protocol which cannot be (easily) done on-the-fly. =20
> Since you should have a fail-over running it shouldn't be a problem to=20
> build a carp enabled backup while the failover host takes care of the=20
> service, however.

The problem is: we have to use a custom kernel, but currently we
try to use freebsd-update, which is not useable with custom kernels.

> As a fallback there is a userland implementaion of carp (google "ucarp"),=
=20
> but I am not sure what the status of that is or if it works with the=20
> in-kernel version.

We tested it already. It seems to work fine with 2 ucarp nodes, but
fyi ucarp and kernel carp does not work together (i did not found
out why). So we will test the ucarp more deeply and maybe switch
our carp system to ucarp :(

Maybe in future we can try to built our own binary diffs for
freebsd-update. Then we can make use of custom compiled worlds+kernels.
But this needs a "freebsd-update-built-server" and more custom work
on our side.

bye,
Andy

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7