Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2017 12:05:33 +0000
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Rezny <rezny@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>, Tijl Coosemans <tijl@freebsd.org>, ports-committers@freebsd.org, svn-ports-all@freebsd.org, svn-ports-head@freebsd.org, swills@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r435961 - in head/www/webkit-gtk2: . files

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 03:10:09AM +0100, Matthew Rezny wrote:
> Many ports that use gnutls produce warnings from stage-qa because gnutls
> depends on libgcrypt which depends on libgpg-error, and while I sometime
> see libgcrypt alongside gnutls, I rarely notice libgpg-error alongside
> either, and I find myself frequently adding both. [...]
>
> Should every port using libgcrypt have to depend on libgpg-error when
> libgcrypt already depends on it, or is the stage-qa check over aggressive?

`Mk/Scripts/qa.sh' is doing what it can: that is, what readelf(1) tells
it.  Technically no, not every port using libgcrypt has to depend on
libgpg-error, as long as you link with -lgcrypt only and it's sufficient.
However, libgpg-error is pulled by default via libgcrypt's config script:

    $ /usr/local/bin/libgcrypt-config --libs
    -L/usr/local/lib -lgcrypt -lgpg-error

I'd guess this are just safest default so your program surely links if
you use functions from any (or both) libraries, so even when this is not
the case both libraries would be pulled if author (or maintainer) does
not pay attention.  Another approach is to use -Wl,--as-needed option;
some GNU/Linux distros' toolchains even enable it by default, but I'd
leave that to someone more knowledgeable to talk about.

./danfe