Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2019 20:21:07 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sphinx-build not found

On 1/18/19 6:19 PM, Jan Beich wrote:
> "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Quite a few ports are now being skipped by the not unheard of
>> problem with "sphinx-build not found".  Including llvm6 and 7.
>> I've checked UPDATING and google, but no hints, other than this
>> problem has happened in the past.
>
> Did you change default python version recently? sphinx-build (unversioned)
> is installed only for default python flavor. For example,
>
> 1. Build textproc/py-sphinx@py36
> 2. As python defaults to 2.7 only versioned binaries are installed
> 3. Set DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python=3.6
> 4. Try to build devel/cmake, devel/llvm70, etc.
> 5. poudriere uses existing py36-sphinx package
> 6. Bustage due to missing unversioned symlinks
> 7. Force rebuild textproc/py-sphinx@py36
> 8. devel/cmake, devel/llvm70, etc. build fine

Ah.  In the spirit of prompt replies it seems that poudriere is happy
to build now (watching via htop).  I uncommented this line in
poudriere's local (ie, I am the author) configuration file
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python=3.6

Every once in a while I get crazy bored and start trying to roll back
deviations from default land.  Made a mistake, thank you for the
diagnosis.  Happiness in python land seems to be a very steep saddle
point.

Thanks very much,
Russsell