Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:24:10 -0600
From:      "Alan L. Cox" <alc@imimic.com>
To:        jlemon@flugsvamp.com, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD Networking Performance

> Note that iMimic claims to run on a standard FreeBSD platform, which
> would also imply they use kqueue; this alone can probably provide the
> 2x performance boost you see on polygraph.

Yes, we do.  In fact, the difference between FreeBSD and Linux is
greater
than 2x.  On equivalent processors, we demonstrated 1900 polygraph
req/sec
on FreeBSD 4.2 and 720 polygraph req/sec on a 2.2.14 Linux kernel.  It's
also worth mentioning that the response time for FreeBSD at 1900 req/sec
was faster than Linux at 720 req/sec.

There are other advantages to FreeBSD, but kqueue is definitely
at the top of the list.

Alan