Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:30:23 +0200
From:      Gareth de Vaux <bsd@lordcow.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>, ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phantom rules

On Wed 2010-09-15 (14:39), Ian Smith wrote:
> Indeed, that's where these have come from (and Gareth, you DO want those
> rules, including the ipv6_mandatory ones if running ipv6)

I don't, because I run my own from my own file. (I'm not using ipv6
either).

> but I suspect that you may have rather intended this to be:
>
> firewall_script="/usr/local/etc/firewall"

Nope I intended it as before - firewall_type="<filename>", and my file is
in the format you mention later, and it works, just preceded with that
stuff I didn't ask for.

The first line in /usr/local/etc/firewall for example is:

add pass all from any to any via lo0

so I end up with 2 of these rules, plus that other stuff.

So are there some variables I can set that disable this second-guessing
behaviour?