Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:38:57 +0000
From:      Hacene <hacene@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hacene@gmx.net
Subject:   Can't install FBSD (2.2.7-3.0) Adaptec 2940 seems problem

Hi,

I have a serious problem trying to install FreeBSD on my PC. It's a
PentiumII with a IDE disk (IBM) and a scsi card from Adaptec
(2940 bought in early 1996 with bios 1.21) connecting an MO
drive as well as a scsi CDROM.

I have tried to install FBSD from a local public NFS server using
the boot disk from 2.2.7 release, 3.0 release, latest
2.2.7 SNAP and 3.0 SNAP with no success. The bootdisks works perfectly
on another PC without the 2940 scsi card, but not on mine :(

I can go through the visual selection of devices and turnoff almost
everything but when it goes into the "blue" screen where it probes
the hardware, It crashes with a message about not being able to
load init and that it's rebooting in 15 seconds.

I manage to switch to the second virtual terminal just in time
to see a message scrolling very fast mentioning ahc0(0,0....)
and somthing about "ILLEGAL REQUEST CMD: asc:21,0". then it crashes
and returns me to the blue probing devices screen with a message
overwritting the blue screen "panic: Going nowhere without my init".

First is there a way for me to get more meaningful debugging info
to you (and how? ;). is there a boot incantation that whould output
more useful info (I tried ALT-F2 and got a very fast scrolling message
described above about ahc0, but too fast to record or examine the earlier
messages), and disable that blue probing message screen of
the install disk?

Secondly the system works quite well under both WinXX and Linux.

Thirdly I had tried previously (3 months ago to install 2.2.7 on
the same PC but with a different motherboard (a TX based QDI board)
and an AMD K6-233, with excatly the same results :( (can't get
passed the blue probing window of the boot floppy)

And finally I have managed to boot the PicoBSD boot floppy which
seems to have been compiled without any support for the Adaptec 2940
with no problem, part from that it's isn't very useful in
installing FreeBSD from scratch (I think ?).

A summary of my system:

Processor: 	PentiumII (Celeron 300A)
Memory:		64MB SDRAM
Motherboard:	Abit BH6
Harddisk:	IBM 4.3 G UDMA

on the ISA Bus:
Ensoniq SoundScape Soundcard (IRQ9, IRQ5, DMA1, DMA3)
3COM 3c509B (IRQ7)

on the PCI Bus:
ATI Mach64 2MB Video card
Pure3D Voodoo1 6MB Video card
Adaptec 2940 (Bios 1.21) (connected to an internal Philips CD-R
2600 and an external IBM 5.25" MO drive)

Anyway I hope someone has seen something similar or that there is
some "boot.flp" install disk without Adaptec Support (though I wonder
whether I can recompile the system and have use of my SCSI cdrom,
and MO drive later, or will I have the same problem?)

I would apreciate any help you could give, and I am ready to try any
experiment to sort out this problem (doesn't look very good when
Linux can boot and install and FBSD seems to have problems :(
I sincerely hope it's my fault seeing as not many reported this
kind of problem)

By the way, while I am here, thanks to all you contributor of FBSD
for a fine integrated system.

Hacene.