Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:31:41 -0000
From:      "Ian Lartey" <Ian.Lartey@wolfsonmicro.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?'Ville_Skytt=E4'?= <scop@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: cvsweb 2.9.1 and enscript 1.6.2

owner-freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 02:05, Ian Lartey wrote:
>
>> I suppose my first question is:
>> Does cvsweb 12.9.1 work OK with enscript 1.6.2 ?
>> (The comments in the cvswed.conf say yes
>> so I'll move onto my to my problem)
>
> It should, although I have personally only tested with 1.6.4 from
> http://people.ssh.com/mtr/genscript/
>
>> in "Colored" diff format the line number hyper text links are present
>> but result in the following error on the http server:
>> .../etc/cvsweb.confenscript: option `--highlight=c' is
>> ambiguous,.....
>
> Huh, I have no idea how "c" gets passed to --highlight or why the
> /etc/cvsweb.conf stuff is in the error log.

I commented out the redirection of STDERR to /dev/null so
I could see what was happening.

> Could you post unedited
> snippets from the error log?  What web server do you run and on what
> platform?

This is on Apache on Redhat Linux 8.

> For context diffs, the value to --highlight should be "diff", "diffu"
> for unified, and "diffs" for side by side diffs.

Ah I think I see the problem now - enscript doesn't understand the
--highlight option that doEnscript in cvsweb.cgi passes.

"enscript --highlight=diffu <filename>"  results in :
enscript: unrecognised option `--highlight=diffu" is ambiguous
and the man pages for enscript do not mention the --highlight option.

>> with "Side by side, colored" format the following error occurs:
>> .../etc/cvsweb.confenscript: option `--highlight=diffs' is
>> ambiguous,.....
>
> Hm.  What diff* files do you have in the enscript hl directory?
> Could you try the most recent highlighting stuff available from the
> enscript homepage above?

I have added those now.

> What about enscript-colored unified diffs,
> do they work?  What about enscript-colorized source code (not diff)
> views?

*
using --pretty-print=c fixes the problem.
*
editing cvsweb.cgi and substituting "--pretty-print=" for "--highlight"
gives properly enscript-colorized source code.

with this in place diffs, diff, diffu  all now work.

There seems to be a problem with the humanreadable/unified (non enscript

coloured views...more on that in a later mail).

>> I'm not sure what I have missed out, lang_cvsweb.st is in the hl
>> directory of enscript.
>>
>> could this mean I have a problem with IPC::RUN ?
>
> Most likely not, looks like an enscript problem to me.  To isolate the
> problem, I'd suggest (in addition to the above) running enscript from
> the command line for unified, context and side by side diffs using
> diffu, diff and diffs for values of --highlight respectively.
>
> Let the list know how it goes, and thanks for testing the beta!

That's OK thanks for the pointer.

Ian.

--
Ian Lartey
Applications Software Engineer

Wolfson Microelectronics plc
www.wolfsonmicro.com
T +44 131 272 7000
F +44 131 272 7001
Registered in Scotland 89839

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it, destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise. We take reasonable precautions to ensure our Emails are virus free. However, we cannot accept responsibility for any virus transmitted by us and recommend that you subject any incoming Email to your own virus checking procedures.