Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:24:06 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mixtim" <mixtim@home.com>
Cc:        "Jorge Ramirez" <ijand2@yahoo.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: UPS for freebsd server

Quite true but the SmartUPS is more expensive than the BackUPS also
you have to special order the dumb cable because the smartups only
ships with the smart cable.

I myself am also quite interested in other folks experiences with
different brands of UPS's.  The experience I've had with UPS's is that
90% of the time they fail because the battery has gone south and
that usually happens after 2 years of continuous service.  It doesen't appear
to me that there's much difference in the electronics and that
most computer power supplies have large enough capacitors in them to
survive a 200 millisecond power loss without rebooting, plenty of time for
even the cheapest UPS's to switch over.  The big difference seems
to be that the cheap UPS's lack "low battery" signalling wires.  I'd
be interested in finding a cheap UPS that has a low battery signal
port.