Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 10:08:43 -0500
From:      mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com (Mark J. Taylor)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch) wrote:
>As Brian Tao wrote:
>>
>>     I found several old mailing lists messages pertaining to using a
>> Syquest removeable drive and an Iomega floptical with FreeBSD.  Are
>> there any quirks to their operation?
>
>Oooh, are the flopticals really by Iomega?  I've got hold of one (it's
>only borrowed, i've attached it just out of interest), and it
>identifies itself as ``Insite'' (which it is also labelled):

Insite makes the hardware, Iomega puts 'em in boxes.

>(bt0:6:0): "INSITE I325VM        *F 0387" is a type 0 removable SCSI 1
>sd1(bt0:6:0): Direct-Access
>sd1(bt0:6:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
>sd1(bt0:6:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
>sd1: could not get size
>0MB (0 512 byte sectors)
>
>I could not get it to write anything.  Neither on standard floppies
>nor on flopticals.  I've once trashed a floppy with it, it required
>some 20 formatting cycles to get it alive again...

I had one of these drives (still have one at a customer site).  It required
a kernel hack under 1.1 to make it work (I was using an Adaptech 154xB, not
the C which has floptical/removable support) in the scsiconf file.
Basically, I had to add in a routine or two into the scsi stuff to make it
unlock the drive when it was attached.

Awfully nasty hack/device.  Never quite worked (lotsa timeouts).  I did get
it to read a 20 Mb disk once, though.  I had to ask it a few times to mount
the device (I think that the drive had to be spinning in order for the
mount to work right).  I think that the 1.1 patch came from Bob Wilcox.
Bob?

I might be able to resurrect it.  I've not tried to fix it under 1.1.5.1.

Also- the same system has a ~360 Mb (~180 per side) magneto-optical (MO)
removable drive based on the Hewlett-Packard drive mechanism (repackaged
under the product name Inspire by a company called Alphatronix).  I
actually booted off of it and ran the entire system from it.  I never
ejected the disk while the OS was running though.  :)
This drive should work off of a stock 1.1.5.1 system, no hacks.  You
probably have to enable SCSI BIOS support on your Adaptec if you want to
boot off of it though, because it needs to be installed as a hard drive by
the Adaptec BIOS in order to read the bootblocks.

-Mark Taylor
mtaylor@cybernet.com