Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:21:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Andrew I. Arbuckle" <aiarbuckle@naxs.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

"Andrew I. Arbuckle" wrote:

> With better emulation or applications I would have stuck with OS/2, without the
> bloat/cost of Wintel, I would stick with Windows.
> If FreeBSD can provide an alternative, I will switch to it and drop the rest
> (except the mainframe OS, that is where I work).
> Emulation is not my preferred method of using applications, but is an acceptable
> alternative to not being able to access at all, native is always better.

You don't understand how the Linux emulator in FreeBSD works.  Some
Linux applications run faster on FreeBSD than they do on Linux.  ;^)

It isn't so much an emulator as it is an alternative execution environ-
ment, rather like the Posix and Win32 subsystems on Winders NT.  An
even closer analogy might be the SunOS execution environment on Solaris.
FreeBSD 3.x supports Linux applications in the same way it supports
FreeBSD 2.x applications, yet we don't call that an emulator.

Essentially, FreeBSD is "Linux ABI compliant."