Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 06:53:24 -0300 (BRT)
From:      Giovanni Picoli Tirloni <tirloni@din.uem.br>
To:        Steve Peck <steve.peck@uk.easynet.net>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel security level

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Steve Peck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed the FreeBSD 4.3
>
> And I got this strange problem where the kern.sercurelevel was set to 1.
>
> I had a version of 4.2 which just defaults to -1.
>
> Is this something new?
>
> Although it seems like a good idea, I had much trouble finding out why
> I couldn't run X windows. Soon as I found a reference to this /dev/mem
> suddenly was permitted and X started up - but only as root :-(.
>
> I have since found that I can run X (as root) on kern.securelevel = 0
> But if I set it to this via /etc/sysctl.conf it just gets upgraded to
> level 1! So, I now have it set to level -1 in /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> If I did want to run at level 0 then I would have to upgrade it manually
> By loggin in as root and doing
> # sysctl - w kern.securelevel=0
> every reboot :-(
>
> Now, have I done something stangely bad during my install.
>
> I just ftp'd it from the ftp.uk.FreeBSD.org site.
>
> If I try to startx as a user then I now get
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpeConsole:Server must be suid root
>
> Hmmmm, anyone got any ideas?

 Check your /etc/rc.conf, there must be these lines there:

   kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
   kern_securelevel="1"

 You don't need to change kern.securelevel yourself, the /etc/rc
 script does it for you at boot time already. So take those lines
 out of your sysctl.conf and just set the proper secure level in
 /etc/rc.conf or disable it at all.

 You must have chosen the medium security profile (or whatever sets
 the secure level to 1) while installing FreeBSD.

G'luck

 --
 Giovanni Picoli Tirloni
 tirloni@din.uem.br