Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:45:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS resolving by internal network

Ben Smithurst writes:
> Hector wrote:
> > I have a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE box w/2 NICs setup as a gateway and an
> > internal LAN.  I have IPFilter setup already.
> > All my internal machines have static IPs and the default gateway as the
> > 2nd NIC of my FreeBSD box.
> >
> > How do I get them to use the DNS servers given by my ISP?
> Why not run a local DNS cache on the gateway instead?  That will shorten
> the time taken for DNS lookups.  I don't know how much it helps, but I
> get a lot of mail from freebsd.org, and for each mail a DNS lookup on
> freebsd.org is done, so the local cache probably helps a bit there at
> least.

That's my solution. If you connection is intermittent, or your local
machines are behind a NAT gateway, you're pretty much need a local DNS
server anyway.

> Like the other person who responded, I use DHCP to give my machines
> static IPs, so the config there is probably much the same.  If you want
> help with the named config, let me know and I'll send you my config
> files for that if you think they'd help.

Right. The solutions for telling your local host the IP address for
the DNS server doesn't change just because the DNS server is yours
instead of your ISPs.

	<mike