Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:43:03 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Security Update Tool..

To add to Roger Marquis's pointer,
> Before reinventing the wheel interested developers might check the
> reference implementation, Sun's Patchdiag:

For those without Sun experience and a SunSolve account, patchdiag uses
Solaris' package and patch system and compare the current package and
patch list to a "cross reference" file (currently 654kB) available from
SunSolve which reflects the latest patches.

The output is a report showing what how the systems patch level compare to
the latest patch list from Sun. Here's a sample:

INSTALLED PATCHES
Patch  Installed Latest   Synopsis
  ID   Revision  Revision
------ --------- -------- ------------------------------------------------------------
106146    15        16    SunOS 5.7: M64 Graphics Patch
106147    06     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: VIS/XIL Graphics Patch
106148    12     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: XFB Graphics Patch
106300    09     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: Shared library patch for 64bit C++
106327    08     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: Shared library patch for C++
106541    12        14    SunOS 5.7: Kernel update patch
106725    02     CURRENT  OpenWindows 3.6.1: mailtool vacation security patch
106733    07     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: Create a patch analyzer
106748    04     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: /usr/ccs/bin/sccs and /usr/ccs/bin/make patch
106793    05     CURRENT  SunOS 5.7: ufsdump and ufsrestore patch
106812    04     CURRENT  OBSOLETED by 107432

Patches are also grouped into catagories, such as "recommended",
"security" and "Y2K".

Sun has also make fetching the patches much easier with the "autopatch"
facility which enables you to download patches with wget of a URL based on
expressions which match the patch number, eg.

wget -m -L -l2 -A "105160*" http://sunsolve.sun.com/private-cgi/pls.pl?arg=105160*

I've not yet come across any glue which sticks these two pieces together,
although it would be very simple to make. The reason is probably the same
as the one which has been suggested as the reason for not having an
automated update tool here - that the choice to make changes to the system
is one for the sysadmin to make, based on information made available.

In Sun's case, they've made both ends of the job easy - patchdiag to
identify patches and autopatch+patchadd to get apply them. Of course, this
all applies only to Sun's packages. I have not seen anyone come up with
additional cross reference file entries for other packages.

I'll leave comparisons to FreeBSD's model and tools, along with
suggestions for enhancement to others for now. Note, however, that Solaris
is based on a package system for everything and that packages and patches
are binary.

-Andrew-