Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 16:55:32 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabami.seaslug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Erasing an IDE disk

Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> I'm fixing to remove a disk from my system and give it to someone else. I want
> to erase it to try to make sure that no personal or sensitive data can be
> recovered from it. So, my first attempt was to install FreeBSD 4.0 on it, then
> try to do this kind of stuff:
>
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0s2c

That will only erase slice 2, so that's not really good enough.  You
won't be able to erase the whole disk unless nothing on ad0 is mounted
(did you check that; what does "mount" show?).  I think what you'll have
to do is to put this disk in another FreeBSD system as ad1 (or ad2, or
whatever), and try erasing /dev/ad1 completely (not ad1s<something>
or anything like that).  Or, you could use the fixit CD (disc 2 in WC
sets), and use dd from there.

As for the person who suggested /dev/urandom, I'm not sure
that would be better.  It will use loads of CPU time, both
ways will stop a casual nosy person, and neither way will
stop someone who *really* wants the data off the disk. See
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/secure_del.html>; for more on this
sort of stuff.

When I returned a disk to a shop recently because it was b0rken, I just
wrote 0x0, 0xff, then 0x0 over the whole disk.  Given that when I took
it back they used Windows Scandisk to check if it really was faulty, I
think that was overkill. :-)

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D