Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:39:19 -0700
From:      Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keymap definitions for VT / NEWCONS

> And it is so much easier to use the country code that you most
> probably know from your mail or web address

Where do I apply for my .com passport?

> than the locale code, which many users never get to see.

Most users have never heard of a "locale" in a computer context.

How often do most people have to deal with the filename for
their keyboard?  Almost never.  Nice filenames are a good thing,
but these filenames are not the most important ones in the
universe.  Just make them logical, extensible, and not excessively
long (e.g. ipv6 addresses).

The important part is to make it easy to find out what file you need
to use.  A plain text file containing a list of filenames and the
corresponding languages, countries, and whatever else will do the job.
Make it easy to find the index file by including its pathname in the
documentation.  If you want to hurt yourself, then write a little
utility to help find the filename.

If you must worry about names, "NEWCONS" could use improvement.
What will the next system be called"  NEWNEWCONS?  VERYNEWCONS,
followed by ULTRANEWCONS, followed by UeBERNEWCONS?

The more important problem is, does this "NEWCONS" thingy provide
a way to correct errors?  For example, I am using a proper Unix
keyboard, but for some reason both the firmware and FreeBSD think
it is a horrid pee-cee style keyboard.  ~/.xmodmap can fix this up,
but only for X.  Does this "NEWCONS" thingy provide xmodmap type
functionality?

> And de_CH and fr_CH differ just in whether "

Another problem is that whatever characters those are do not
display properly in an xterm window.  And pasting them into
emacs doesn't work either.