Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:17:11 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: $DIR/$DIR.sgml -> $DIR/index.sgml

hi,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 11:30:58AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Comments please, before I ask the CVS-meisters to do the copy:
Sorry for late reply, but I was out of city for about 4 days and still
have about 800 unread messages at my mailbox.

> A glance at the web site will show that we have a mix and match of
> 'index' file names.
>
> [  An "index" file in this context means the "master" file for each
>    section of the web site.  For example, the index file for the java
>    section is java/index.sgml, for the Doc. Proj section it's
>    docproj/docproj.sgml, for the news section it's news/news.sgml, for
>    the releases it's releases/index.sgml, and so on ]

I don't see any reason for doing it. Makefiles for all directories which
does not contain index.sgml contain INDEXLINK= assignment and on installing
stage INDEXLINK value is linking to index.html.

IMHO, it more appropriate to have not any index.sgml in www tree because
if I'll want to replace index.html file I have to make patch which will
completely replace index.sgml. In current case I just need to commit new
file and change one line in Makefile.

> Sometimes we use $DIR/$DIR.sgml, other times we use $DIR/index.sgml.

Probably better to change all index.sgml names to $DIR.sgml name.

--
/* Alexey Zelkin                       && phantom@cris.net    */
/* Tavric National University          && phantom@crimea.edu  */