Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:17:44 -0400
From:      dave@hawk-systems.com (Dave)
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        "Tony" <tony@idk.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: how to specifiy nameserver

>>> If I am not running named locally, how do I specify using DSN on my ISP?
>>>
>>> I think that it's in one of the /etc/host* but I do not know which or the
>>> format to add this.
>>
>> You put it in /etc/resolv.conf. Type "man resolv.conf" for detailed
>> information. Basically, do something like this in /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> 	domain your-domain-name
>> 	nameserver ip-address-of-the-nameserver
>
>You seem to be understanding more than I am.  For me, DSN means
>"delivery status notification", and it's an MTA function, not a name
>server function.

My guess was that was a typo

>The real question, though, is "why not run named?".  It's trivial to
>set up a caching-only name server, and it's much faster than using
>remote name servers or /etc/hosts.

or dnscache as part of the djbdns port...  IMO much easier for people to setup
and deal with than named or bind(which he will eventually evolve to i would
think)

I agree with you though not many reasons not to run caching server especially
when you consider the work required for the alternative.

Dave