Date:      12 Jun 1999 00:13:59 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel recompilation question

Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:

Doug, thanks for replying.

> As suggested previously, use boot -c.

I think I've disabled this option in my kernel.

> For future reference, however, if you make changes the kernel config file
> you _must_ run 'config' to affect these changes the the kernel build
> directory.

OK. How about "make depend"? Do I have to run this command if I didn't
add any new options/devices, but only changed some IRQ's and/or flags?

> > This is important for me b/c it takes 4 hours overall to compile a
> > kernel on my 486, so if I can save 30 min for skipping "make depend",
> > that would make me a bit happier.
>
> 4 hours?!?  Just what are you building?  On our 486/25sx it takes ~45
> minutes.  It's a decently pruned kernel, though.

I've removed pretty much everything from it, exept for IDE HD, fd, and
ne cards. Even the com ports. Well, if not 4 hours, but over 3 for
sure (including make depend && make).

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate