Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:07:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Hubs and switches (was: uninformed qstn...)

--- Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure you meant to write what you did, but I'm not 100% I
> understand.  But yes, latency isn't an issue.  Even if it is, switches
> still win.

My point is that generic switches are not faster than hubs, because of the
added latency associated with the store-and-forward method.  Cisco 2900's
have the ability to do both types of switching.

> I tried a test here between two machines on my network.  In each case,
> the data went via the Cisco 2900 switch and then either via a hub or a
> second switch.  The remote machine has a 10 Mb/s interface.  Here are
> the results (average ping time):
>
> Switch, normal ping:        0.756 ms
> Hub, normal ping:	    0.744 ms
>
> Switch, 1500 bytes:	    4.251 ms
> Hub, 1500 bytes:            4.004 ms
>
> Switch, 1500 bytes, load:   4.244 ms
> Hub, 1500 bytes, load:      4.513 ms
>
> The "load" was a single concurrent tar over the network.  I must say
> I'm impressed how little degradation there was, but it's clear that
> the latency savings on a hub are more than offset by its performance
> under load.

I would offer the rebuttal that when you look at costs, having a hub deal
with 12-16 nodes would more than suffice.

For example, a new catalyst 2912, depending on options, will run you
between $2000-$5200, while a 12 port fast ethernet hub will run you about
$200-$300.  BTW, I don't know if your switch is configured for cut-through
switching or store-and-forward.  If it is set for store-and-forward, I'd
suggest you change it to cut-through.

I'm sure you can pick these up refurb'ed cheaper on ebay, but I wouldn't
recommend buying anything that doesn't qualify for a smartnet agreement.

I suppose if there isn't a big price difference between a generic switch
and a hub, the switch would seem to be a better bet.  You can add other
switches or hubs to each port and keep the collision domain confined,
unlike a hub which will add to it.

> As I say, there were three machines involved in this test.  The
> collision light was on almost continually:

Both my cisco istructors are probably frowning on me if they knew I wasn't
cursing hubs, but with all those collisions, did you take a huge
performance hit that would warant spending at least an additional $1800.

On a separate note.  I love your book.