Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 03:56:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> >> Depends on what you're trying to do with it, and what sort of FreeBSD
> >> box you're talking about.  A VLB '486DX2/66 will just about keep even
> >> with a Sparc 2 otherwise similarly configured; I don't have any data
> >> on faster Sun systems as just about everything around here is an Alpha.
> >
> > 	I meant like use it as a server for a organization on a FreeBSD P5-90
> > box, what would it be equivelent to in performance?  Is the Alpha that
> > much better than a Pentium?
>
> Depends on what you're doing, as far as I can tell.  I'll have a clearer
> picture when the new box (P100) comes in, and I can get some comparative
> numbers against the low-end (-66) alphas around here.

	Hmmm, okay... I meant a Alpha 275Mhz compared to a P5-90...

> > 	I thought the working size will always exceed the physical memory
> > since you can only expand to a certain number for physical ram while with
> > hd's, you can just add new ones...
>
> Huh?  The "certain number" for physical ram essentially limits your
> maximum working set size; obviously you have a limit related to
> processor speed as well. (after all, you can only access so much memory in a
> given period).  Once your working set (the pages currently in use by active
> processes) exceeds the available physical memory, you start thrashing, as
> you have to swapout/swapin on a regular basis.

	I know what you mean but memory is still limited to 256 megs or
less so there is no way you can have 1 gig of physical ram I think...

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center