Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:06:49 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portmap_enable vs. rpcbind_enable

* Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> [010731 10:53] wrote:
> David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> > > Why not change the names now, but keep the old ones working until,
> > > say, 5.0 is branched?  People moving from 4.x will have enough hurdles
> > > to jump through as it is, and those using -current will have half a
> > > year to change it.
> >
> > It still is an extra change for people updating from 4.X to 5.0.
> > Maybe we should just make a portmap_program variable which is set
> > to portmap in -stable and rpcbind in -current. At least things
> > would be orthogonal then.
>
> That's what we already have, but we still have a knob that says it
> will start 'portmap' starting something called 'rpcbind', and the user
> didn't explicitly ask for that.  If people think it's too much
> trouble, though, I'm not going to press the issue.

I think the main issue was to protect those that specifically turned
portmap off from having rpc_bind turn it on.  Since portmap and
rpcbind are pretty much the same program it made sense at the
time to at least keep the old name valid in absence of a specific
rpcbind_enable flag.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?