Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jle <jle@baa.ssars.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Totally newbie - install problems

> The target is actually "depends" with the "s".
>
> But how is that different from 'make install clean'?

*shrug*
make depend (without the 's') all install clean has always worked for me.
I've used that since FreeBSD 2.1 at least.

I would think if it was depends that it would say something like:

make: don't know how to make depend. Stop

So I assume that depend makes dependencies and all makes all options. I've
never really cared what the targets do individually but that's what I use
to build ports, it always builds the dependencies and I've never had
any problems using it. Maybe it's redundant or superfluous but it works
for me.